Capolona

Capolona, located in the southern part of Casentino, has one of the most unusual histories of the region’s towns. The district stretches southwards across the slopes of Pratomagno and corresponds, historically, with the estate of the ancient Abbey of Campoleone. The origin of the castle of Campoleone is unknown; however, it is known that the Abbey of San Gennaro at Campus Leonis (where the name Capolona originates from) was founded in 972 by Countess Giuditta, wife of Ugo the Marquis of Tuscany. The temporal and feudal power of the abbots of Campoleone was the motive for bitter disputes with the districtof Arezzo, which, from the end of the XII century, began to struggle with its powerful neighbours for the possession of the county. In 1196 the people of Arezzo destroyed the monastery of ‘Santa Fiora’, and the following year, took all of the property around lake Trasimeno from the Abbots of Campoleone. After various events, which saw Campoleone pass into the hands of the Florentines, and in more recent times become the administrative centre of the region, the city’s name became Capolona, as it is known today.

The district is set into the landscape at a point where Casentino and the Arno valley open out into a wide fan-shape at the beginning of a large plain formed by the meeting point of the ‘Val di Chiana nel Valdarno’ and the river Arno, where it curves down towards Arezzo. The landscape is criss-crossed by short streams, which flow from the southernmost watershed of Pratomagno, which is somewhat steep above the city, but softens towards Pieve San Giovanni.

Capolona is located in an interesting area renowned for its historical events; important archaeological finds, some with Neolithic origins, have been found around the locations of Cafaggio, Cafaggiolo, Cicaleto and Vico.

 

HISTORIC CENTRE

WHAT TO SEE

INFORMATION

ECOMUSEUM

 COM_CONTENT_LISTA_ARTICOLI

Cookies help us to deliver our services. By using these services, you agree to the use of cookies on the Website